डॉ. वेंकट एम. मायंदे
माजी कुलगुरू, डॉ. पंजाबराव देशमुख कृषी विद्यापीठ, अकोला
- Ph.D, Agricultural Engineering, (Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur),
- M.Tech, Agril. Engineering: (GB Pant University of Agri & Tech, Pantnagar),
- B.Tech (Agril Engg), PKV, Akola
- B.Sc (Agriculture), PKV, Akola
- H.S.S.C, Board of Secondary Education, Pune
Professional Experience: ( 41 Years)
- Vice Chancellor, Dr PDKV, Akola,
- Vice Chancellor (Officiating), MAFSU, Nagpur,
- Zonal Coordinator, Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK), Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Zone-V (AP, Telangana & Maharashtra), Hyderabad
- Head, Division of Natural Resource Management, Central Research Institute for Dryland Agriculture (CRIDA), ICAR, Hyderabad
- Principal Scientist (Agricultural Engineering), CRIDA, ICAR, Hyderabad,
- Agricultural Engineer, Farming Systems Research Program, International Crops Research Institute for Semi Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), Hyderabad
- Assistant Agril. Engineer, BAIF, Pune
International Trainings, Visits and Collaborations:
- Cornell University, New York, USA: Collaboration
- Portland State University, Portland, Oregon, USA: Collaboration
- China: Indo-China Agriculture Mission program: Visit
- Bulgaria: International conference
- Islamic Republic of Iran: International Congress (ICID)
- Sultanate of Oman: Consultancy
- ISRAEL: Water Management Training
Externally Funded Projects: ICAR- CRIDA (1996-2005)
- Indo-US Network project in 7 states on mechanization of Dryland Agriculture.
- NATP-Mission Mode Network project in 10 states on Agricultural Mechanization
126 (Journal Articles, Conference Papers, Books, Book chapters, Research Bulletins, Information Bulletins etc)
- Rafi Ahemad Kidwai Award (1996) for outstanding contribution in Engineering & Technology, ICAR, New Delhi.
- ISAE Gold Medal 2010-11: Life time achievement award for outstanding contribution in Farm Mechanization, Indian Society of Agricultural Engineers (ISAE), New Delhi.
- WatSave award 2011: International Award for development of water saving technologies in rainfed agriculture (India), ICID, at Global Congress,Tehran, Iran.
- Dewang Mehta Award (2010) for Outstanding Management of Agricultural University, Association of Management Institutions in India, Mumbai
- ASPEE Gold Medal (2009), for outstanding contribution in Agricultural Mechanization, ISAE, New Delhi.
- ASPEE Award (1995) for design & commercialization of farm implements, ISAE, New Delhi
- Best Invention Award for design of drill plough by AIIES, Hyderabad (1994)
- Best product invention award for low cost vegetable preservation device by Trade Trends, Guntur.(2001)
- Best Product Invention Award for Mango Orchard Sprayer by Trade trends, Guntur (2002).
- Fellow, Indian Society of Agricultural Engineers, New Delhi.
- Fellow, Indian Society of Dryland Agriculture, Hyderabad
- Awarded Honorary Rank of Colonel Commandant by 11 Maharashtra NCC Btln., New Delhi (2009)
- Emeritus Engineer Award, 2009: (Western zone) by Institution of Engineers (India),
- Emeritus Engineer Award, 2011: (National) by Institution of Engineers (India)
Special Assignments and Honours:
- Member (Agri), High Level Committee (Dr Vijay Kelkar committee) on balanced regional development, Govt Of Maharashtra
- Member, Governing Body, ICAR, New Delhi
- Member, Board of Management, Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai
- Chairman, QRT, CIRCOT, Matunga, Mumbai
- Member, Institute Management Committee, CICR, Nagpur.
- Member, Executive Council, Indian Agricultural University Association, New Delhi.
- Member, Governing Board, Engineering Council of India, New Delhi
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, Tea Research Association, Kolkatta
- Member Secretary, Research Advisory Committee, CRIDA, Hyderabad
- Member Secretary, QRT, CRIDA, Hyderabad
- Member Secretary, Institute Management Committee, CRIDA, Hyderabad
- Member (Honorary), Executive Committee, AFARM, Pune.
- President, Indian Society of Agricultural Engineers (ISAE), New Delhi.
- Vice President, Indian Society of Dryland Agriculture, Hyderabad
- Consultant, Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries wealth, Sultanate of Oman
- Patron & Founder, Agricultural Machinery Manufacturers Association of India (AMMA-India).
- Patron, Agricultural Implement Manufacturers Association (AIMA), Maharashtra
- Visiting Faculty at NAARM, NIRD, MANAGE, State Bank Institute for Rural Development (SBIRD), Hyderabad
Technology Development and Commercialization:
- Developed 17 farm implement technologies for dryland farming (CRIDA-ICAR) licensed to 12 industries for commercial production in different states of India
- 13 farm implement technologies of Dr PDKV commercialized by licensing to 11 industries in Maharashtra
- Development of Cotton Picker (ICAR-PDKV project) – 7 Patents pending
- Development of Tea plucking machine for Tea Research Association, Kolkatta: Patent pending
- Development of sugarcane bud chipper: Patent pending
CRIDA-PDKV BBF Planter Technology - A success story
BBF Planter technology for rainfed crops was developed by me as a Principal Scientist (Agricultural Engineering). A patent for the BBF Planter was granted to me as an inventor. More than two lakh units of BBF Planters are being utilized in the field by farmers covering 8 lakh hectares of area in Maharashtra. BBF Planter is commercially produced at an industrial scale by licensed industry in Pune and is promoted / subsidized by Govt. of Maharashtra for farmers, keeping in view its popularity. This technology is most suited for rainfed crops due to its resilience to climate change. It conserves moisture, supports crops during dry spell and drains excess water during heavy rain. This technology has increased productivity of rainfed crops by approximately 20%. BBF technology has become a buzz word in Maharashtra for rainfed farming today and is being adopted in Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
Public-Private Partnership Initiatives:
- Dr PDKV and JK Seeds Hyderabad for research on development of Bt Cotton varieties resulted in bringing out promising deshi BGII cotton variety.
- Dr PDKV-Rohit Steel industry, Pune partnership for Production of BBF Planter
- Dr PDKV-Meherbaba industries Akola for development and Production of ‘PKV Mini Dhal Mill’
- Guided PhD, M Tech students of Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU), Hyderabad, Dr PDKV, Akola and ANGRAU, Hyderabad.
- Chairman. Academic Council, Dr PDKV, Akola and Member, Academic Council at MPKV, Rahuri, VNMKV, Parbhani
Specialized Interest Areas:
Agricultural Education, Research & Development, Extension and Policy.